Thursday, November 17, 2011

Grad school was totally worth it!!!

I have had this post in edit mode for a couple of weeks, then my friend Lisa posted something similar and I thought "Crystal, you need to get your enthusiasm out there as well!" So, here it is; my "I love my job and grad school was actually worth all the pain" post!! Enjoy :)

I just spent my Friday morning (well, 2 weeks ago...edit mode, remember) sitting in a conference room with 3 other interns, a psychologist that I totally respect for his intellect and wit, and 4 male offenders who are in on life sentences, awesome no?! It was a panel to discuss life in prison, viewpoints on the corrections system, and life in general. lt was amazing!

I spend 2 mornings every week in the best process group you could ask for. (Non psych people ~ process group = group therapy format that has no specific plan or outline, its just open to the process.) Seriously, I leave the room every single time thinking something along the lines of "wow, that was the most insightful / amazing / thought provoking / emotionally draining and yet fantastic, 2 hours of my academic career so far!"

I have found myself saying or thinking "my job seriously rocks!!" at least a dozen times in the past 2 months. Seriously, who gets to say that? I know I'm an intern who is new and fresh into a long career that will be filled with stress, work politics, and general bad days. I get that. But, it will also be full of such amazing cathartic events. I love that psychology challenges me, I love that it is literally never boring, that it requires continual lifelong learning, and that it makes me feel good about what I do. I am continually amazed by the human mind and am so stinking happy to be around other people who are also amazed by it and are as excited as I am to discuss those amazing complexities.

Seriously, I have the best career in the whole world, and Im just entering the path!!

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am so happy for you! Your passion for your career is so evident when you talk about it. We are so lucky to have found careers we love at such a young age - or at all! I think some people live their entire lives, going to a job they don't really enjoy! I am thrilled that is not the case for us!!

Mel's Way or No Way said...

Okay so I'm really behind but just wanted to say how great it is that you are finding so much joy and satisfaction in your chosen path. Congrats!